Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Crucible of My Life

Most of young people today are working hard to enjoy, explore, travel, party and do the things that let them experience the essence of being young.  I’m currently 29 and I say I’ve been there and done that.  I had fun but with a big twist. Let me share my story with you to enlighten and educate as well.  Let me begin.

Six years ago, I was 23; I was diagnosed with Chronic Glomerulonephritis.  It is an advanced kidney disorder, resulting in inflammation and slowly worsening destruction of internal kidney structures, resulting for kidney function to deteriorate.  My nephrologist told me that we can prolong the remaining function of my kidney through proper diet and medications but eventually it will lead to an End-Stage Renal Disease (complete failure of the kidneys to function), meaning the two options that I will choose to continue living is by Hemodialysis or Kidney Transplantation.  The doctor says the damage to my kidneys is irreversible.  When I learned about my situation, it’s like a nightmare.  You want to wake up but you can’t because it is real.  I cross a path of depression, self-pity, demotivation, anxiety and all kinds of negative thoughts. Name it, I have it.  But that lasted for some months.  I was enlightened by a homily one time when I attended a Sunday healing mass. He said, “Being sick is like being a sinner.  The first step to be healed is by acceptance.  To accept that you are ill and lifting it all to God.  Like asking God for pardon and forgiveness for all your sins.”  Since that day, I was enlightened.  I accepted it and I am changed.

Let’s talk about the cause of this illness.  Chronic Glomerulonephritis occurs when there is slow, progressive destruction of the glomeruli of the kidney (kidney walls), with progressive loss of kidney function. In some cases, the cause is found to be a specific attack to the body's immune system, but in most cases, the cause is unknown.
In my case, the cause is unknown.  Most patients would undergo biopsy of the kidney. I also didn’t undergo this procedure. My doctor told me that the walls of my kidney are too thin that it may cause complications if they will get a tissue for the biopsy. 

There are several symptoms of Chronic Glomerulonephritis and End Stage Kidney Disease.  To name a few, please see list below.

  • Blood in the urine (dark, brown or rust-colored)
  • Foamy urine
  • Drowsiness
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Headache
  • Muscle cramps and twitching
  • Easy Bruising
  • Blood in the stool
  • High blood Pressure
  • Swelling of the feet and hands
  • Sleeping problems

If you have these symptoms, consult your doctor immediately. There are tests needed to be done like a Kidney Ultrasound or CT scan, Urinalysis and Chest X-ray.  Blood tests like BUN, Creatinine, Potassium, Phosphorus, Lipid Profile and Uric Acid is also required.

Treatment for this disorder varies from the cause but the primary goal is to control the symptoms especially high blood pressure which is hard to prevent. There will be medications issued to control your blood pressure and as maintenance.  A strict diet will be enforced.  When I say strict, it is really hard to follow.  You have to control everything. Restrictions on salt, protein, fluids, potassium and phosphorus are vital to control the damage to your kidneys.  It is easy to enumerate the restrictions but these five major restrictions hinder you to eat a wide variety of food.  Believe me.  A licensed dietician will give you a diet plan of foods to take and not to take, the amount per serving and the right way of preparing it.

Dialysis Needle
Like I mentioned, Dialysis or Kidney Transplantation may be necessary to control symptoms of kidney failure and to sustain life.  I undergo Hemodialysis for 6 months.  The experience, life is hard on dialysis.  You have to be dialyzed twice or thrice a week.  Every session took four hours. Treatment is a bit tiring specially for the elderly. You will need to have an access to your arm by doing a minor operation. This access is where they insert 2 huge needles every time you have a dialysis treatment.  Oh Lord, at first when I saw those needles, I was really scared.  I haven’t seen huge needles like those. The regular syringe for taking blood in the hospital laboratory has no match. The dialysis needle is the mother of all needles. Hahaha.  It’s an inch long with a circumference like a straw of a tetrapak. Oh well, I got used to it as weeks gone by.

May 4, 2011 was the happiest day of my life. It’s my second birthday, the day of my kidney transplant. Thank God for this day. I got my kidney from a cadaver donor (deceased donor).  A living donor (related or non-related) is advisable but in case of an absence of a living donor, the cadaver donor is the next option. Being transplanted gives a new motivation in life.  Your life will return to normal and eventually you can eat almost everything you want, but of course, this time in moderation.  Two days from now is my 1st month and I’m still taking a lot of medications and cautious to avoid any infection. I need to stay away from crowd for at least 6 months.  First 6 months is crucial for the healing process. You need to take all types of precautions. Literally, you need to stay at home for that period.

Having this illness is really a pain in everything.  Truly, this is a rich mans illness.  It really costs a lot starting from medical tests and labs, dialysis treatment, medicines and all the way to kidney transplantation.  Kidney Transplantation is still the top option for treatment, though hard on the pocket at first, this procedure will give the best result and guarantees that as months go by, the cost for medicines will eventually drop.   

As the saying goes, “HEALTH IS WEALTH”.  A simple phrase with a very deep meaning.  It is actually one of my favourite mottos today. But seriously, the message that I would like to express is that being young gives us freedom to choose whatever lifestyle we want.  Maybe health is on our last priority thinking we are strong and young.  But we’ll never know.  Every time I visit the hospital and dialysis centre, I noticed that the number of young people suffering from this illness is increasing rapidly.  Today, we may not notice, but Kidney Failure is already one of the top 3 diseases that kills most Filipinos. So I encourage everyone especially the young people to become aware.  Don’t abuse yourself.  We can still enjoy life even in moderation.  Eat healthy, drink a lot of water, exercise regularly, drink moderately(liquor) and if can be avoided, quit smoking.  Act now before it’s too late.      

No comments:

Post a Comment